Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Behemoth

I know I have mentioned the massive tree that we have in our backyard.  But I can't remember if I have ever truly shown any pictures of it... well you are about to get more pictures than you probably need!!  When we moved in we knew the tree was overgrown and in desperate need of a 'hair cut'.  Ryan initially said he could trim the tree... I just laughed hysterically and said 'Yes Hunny'.... It wasn't until we hung Norah's swing from the lowest branch that Ryan quickly realized trimming this baby was not in his 'reach'.  Without further ado meet 'THE BAHEMOTH' as I like to refer to her (yes I consider my tree a female... a VERY LARGE luscious female). Just for reference... I couldn't get about 30% of the tree in the picture.... Because of the way our yard is there is no way of getting the entire tree in a picture!! Its that big!


So I picked up the phone in the spring and got 3 quotes for tree trimming services. The first quote shocked the crap out of me at a whopping $1600!!!! I just about died!!! Next in came a quote at... wait for it... $2300!!! FOR TREE TRIMMING!!! Ok I get that our tree is RIDICULOUSLY HUGE But really?????
At this point Ryan and I were trying to convince ourselves that the tree didn't need trimming and that it would be just fine... aka denial!!  Finally I came across a local tree company called Karmatree and figured it couldn't get any worse why not try for one more quote.  Their quote came in at $900! THAT I could deal with.  However, I wanted to make sure they weren't going to put spikes in my tree (like some companies do) which ruins the tree!!  Luckily they don't use spikes, they use suspension ropes and a big bucket truck. I was excited... well lets rephrase that.. I was not thrilled about forking over $900 for a 'hair cut' for The Behemoth... but I was excited that it wasn't $2300!!! 


THEN we forgot all about poor Behemoth.... it was summer and we were enjoying the fact that she kept our backyard cool and shady. 


Until last week when I realized fall was coming up and that meant Behemoth was about to shed her 'clothes'... Oh goodness... the thought of all those leaves makes me exhausted already!!!! 




So I picked up the phone and called Ryan over at Karmatree. They are honestly the nicest guys ever. They were at the house 4 days later trimming the tree. They did an amazing job of cleaning up every last branch they chopped off.  I came home from work to find that I could actually SEE my beautiful tree!!!  Here she is after her $900 hair cut!






Just so you don't have to scroll up and down, here is the before and after side by side.

I think I can safely say we will have about 30 less bags of leaves to rack up this fall!!! Our neighbours have always been telling us that we have a family of raccoons living in our tree, but we never saw them... until the tree was trimmed.  When I got home last Friday I was talking to Ryan of Karmatree and he pointed out our backyard pet who apparently had been sleeping on this branch the entire day while they were trimming the tree.  Brave little bugger! (if you can't spot him he's in the middle of the photo)



We are both so happy with our trimmed tree and can't thank Karmatrees enough!! They did an amazing job!! If you live in the Toronto area you can find them at karmatree.ca.

Disclaimer: We have not been paid by Karmatree these are 100% our opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment