Monday, June 11, 2012

DIY Play Kitchen Part 3 - OH the frustration

Before I get into the big OMG WHY DID THAT HAPPPEN moment of working on the kitchen this weekend I will go through all the things that went right with the kitchen!!  First off the back splash!!  I wanted it to be magnetic because what kid wouldn't want to hang things on their super cool magnetic back splash!  I also didn't want to have to go buy a big piece of wood, so I called up my dad and he had some leftover 'wood' in the garage. I say 'wood' because its actually a composite so its basically plastic, but you would NEVER know!! It also has a super cool grainy texture to it.  It was perfect!! 

Next I pulled out my Rustoleum magnetic paint (previously used here for Norah's magnetic board) and painted 4 coats of this stuff on it. I love this paint because it only takes about a half hour to dry between coats!!  I knew I wanted to do something fun for the back splash, I went back and forth between a fun flowery stencil or swirls etc. But with the flowery wallpaper on the front of the oven I didn't want too much more pattern.  Then I remembered the awesome green spray paint I had used for the pots at the front of our house ( here).  The paint would go perfectly with the bright green oven knobs!! SO I opted for a non-traditional traditional tiled look.  I say traditional because it looks like tiles... I say non-traditional because lets be honest where do you find lime green tiles!!! If someone knows please tell me because that would be AMAZING!!!!  I taped off my 'tiles' using scotch tape (what I had on hand). 
 And pulled out my bright green paint and sprayed the 'backsplash' down.  I purposely went for a blotchy look to create more texture. I only did one coat of the green.  Then I pulled out my black spray paint and standing far away did a few sprays of that as well to add black specks to the 'tiles'

I had some help with this too... Norah kept running away with the can of spray paint..... she laughed every time she did it!!

After it dried I was left with this... its a LOT more green than this picture shoes... I had issues with lighting. I planned on taking another picture and forgot so you'll just have to trust me that its GREEN!!  Oh and if you're wondering why I didn't finish the 'tiled' look all the way down the board its because that's the bottom of the board and it will be hidden behind the oven so I didn't bother continuing the pattern. Now I MAY lightly spray this with white just to tone down the SCREAMING green but I haven't decided yet... I'll make up my mind tonight.

Next up we made an 'oven rack' using 3/8 inch doweling and leftover pieces of the 'wood' used for the back splash.  We drilled out holes in the side pieces and glued the dowel into place with a glue gun.  Then spray painted it black. (Yes that's me spray painting in my jeans... not smart but I didn't want to have to change)

And using small L brackets we secured the rack in place.  Doesn't it look awesome!!! (once again my foot has made an appearance...)

Then to add some FUN to the side of the oven I used some chalk cloth (amazing product!!) and glued it to the side of the oven and added some pale green ribbon as trim for it.  This is the chalk board where recipes etc can be written and it wipes clean easily!!

NOW here is where my frustration began on Sunday.  Ryan and I went to Lowes to price out a fence for our backyard and stumbled upon something similar to this below.  Its a plate that covers ceiling electrical boxes.  It was the PERFECT size to put on top of the trivets so we could create/attach oven burners. I planned on covering it in a fun black and silver material I have and thought it would look amazing!! 

WELL All was well until I tried to screw the sucker in place.  We had no issues screwing the oven rack in place BUT apparently the top of the nightstand is made of crap!  The screws went in and came right back out!! They wouldn't stay in place at all!!!  After I did the first one I screamed because it chewed up the beautiful top of the nightstand and I had gone backwards about 10 steps in completing this kitchen!  Ryan came in and told me I must have over torqued the screw, so he grabbed a screw and did the same thing I had just done... so now we had 2 holes!! So we grabbed larger screws thinking that was the issue... NOPE!! The top of this was just NOT meant to have screws in it... Sorry for the lack of pictures here... I was freaking out and forgot to take pictures. Other than this photo of the large holes we created!!

Needless to say me and the kitchen took a little time out as I contemplated the next step in fixing it.  Ryan's solution was to get bolts and screw it all the way through but then I would still have to use wood filler and paint to cover the large holes.  I finally decided to scrap the whole screwing it in process and returned the ceiling cover plates to Lowes.  To cover the big gaping holes I grabbed the scraps of leftover wallpaper and cut out circles with my pinking sheers and glued them on.  NO MORE HOLES!! You can't even tell I made a big mistake... but because I like to tell it as it was I had to show the holes!.  Then using the craziest glue ever, E6000, which I use to glue homemade cuff links for Ryan, I glued the trivets on top of the circles.  I forgot to take a picture of that but will add it to the final post this week.  It looks awesome!!!  I think it actually looks better than it would have with the cover plates!!

Now this is being delivered this Wednesday and its SOOOO close to being completed! All we have left is to screw the back splash in place, attach the faucet and screw the knobs in and shorten the bolts that they are on.  THEN its complete! SO come back later this week to see the end result!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment