Monday, May 7, 2012

Weekend Art Project

This weekend Ryan and I escaped up to the cottage.  We needed a little away time but that doesn't mean we didn't do any house projects!!!  I have been looking and looking and looking for some art for our bedroom walls.  I wanted 2 pictures, one for either side of our window in our bedroom.  Just a reminder our bedroom is painted a grayish blue and we have our beautiful diyed wallpaper headboard (see here) which is silver and white.  And eventually (whenever I finish it) we will have a silvery purple chair in the room. Anyway, I have been looking for something for the walls in the bedroom. I wanted something fun that would tie in the purple chair and silver headboard but as much as I looked I couldn't find anything I wanted.

Then while browsing Pinterest I came across this lovely tutorial from Its Doable blog.  I LOVED IT!! Isn't the canvas beautiful!!!!

I knew I wanted to test it out and see how it looked but I didn't want to spend a lot of money because I've tested stuff like this out before and its looked AWFUL!!!  I put it to the back of my mind because I knew the canvas alone would be about $15 each.... THEN while at Dollarama picking up some party supplies I discovered that they sell canvases for $2 for a 16 by 20 canvas!!! WHAT!!!! I grabbed 2 (wish I had grabbed more!) I also picked up some silver and purple paint from Dollarama... seriously I love that store!!!

I told Ryan he would get to create one and I would get to create one. I also told him he could do whatever he wanted with his as long as it went with the bedroom.  I wanted to create a streaky silver and purple look for the background of my canvas.  So I poured a bunch of silver paint into a bowl and a smaller amount of purple and only slightly mixed them together, this way I had swirls of purple throughout my silver paint.  For Ryan's we added spots of blue to the silvery/purple paint for a slightly different look.  Here is my swirled paint bowl below.

And my silvery purple canvas... sorry bad picture, apparantly the lighting was bad on all the ones I took at this stage...

Here is Ryan's canvas with the background. See the streaks of blue!

Now I forgot to take pictures of the next few steps.... Anyway, I cut out a bunch of leaf shaped pieces of paper in various colours that I had on hand.  Then I placed them in a pattern on my canvas, I did end up switching up the colours a bit as originally I had put a bright pink it but it looked bad so I switched it up for a nice lime green.  Then once I had the placement correct I used Mod Podge to glue each piece down and then covered the whole canvas in a layer of Mod Podge.

Now back to Ryan's canvas... I had said he could do whatever he wanted... well I should have said whatever he wanted within reason... his FIRST layout was of an inappropriate hand gesture.... He just smiled when I looked at him and said "Well you said I could do ANYTHING!" argh!  Then he came up with a great idea! He wanted to have a path to nowhere. I loved the idea and he placed it out and with a little help from me (Ie. convincing telling him not to pain toes directly on the egg shaped paper cut outs as well as showing him that when you make a foot print the toes aren't directly attached to the sole of the foot....) He came up with this! I love it!! He opted not to do toes on the 'feet' at all after it was glued because it looked great the way it was!

After the Mod Podge dried this is what we were left with!

And Ryan showing off his art!
 And both of them together!

The best part about it all is when we got them home they look FANTASTIC in the bedroom! They tie everything in SO WELL!!!  I LOVE THEM! I haven't had a chance to take a picture of them in the bedroom because lets be honest... its a MESS right now! But I promise to take a picture soon!!!  That was our fun art project!

Speaking of art projects, while we were working on this Norah was having fun drawing on the cottage floor with crayons.... OOPS!! Sorry Grandma! (Don't worry we cleaned it up!)

No comments:

Post a Comment